Classic Arcade Games Show (CE: CALIFORNIA EXTREME) All Classic Games on Free Play
and Most For Sale)
August 7-8, 2004 California Extreme 2004 San Jose, California
Last updated August 4, 2004
(8/4/04) Subject: California Extreme Announces Speakers and Events Speakers
California Extreme 2004 has finalized the speaker schedule for this year.
We have an awesome lineup this year! Here are the details:
* 11:30 AM - 12:15 PM - "History of Baseball Machines" by Rob Hawkins
* 12:15 PM - 1:45 PM - "Design Time with Keefer" - Keith Johnson, Greg
* 1:45 PM - 2:15 PM - "The Future of Pinball" -- Documentary by Greg
* 2:15 PM - 3:00 PM - "Cabinet Restorations" by Tom Bombaci
* 3:00 PM - 3:45 PM - "Controlling a Real Pinball with a PC" by Brad Oldham
* 3:45 PM - 5:00 PM - Mastering Video Games" by Billy Mitchell,
Dwayne Richard, Dan Coogan & Jonathan Koolpe
* 4:00 PM - "How to Play Pinball Clinic" by Bowen Kerins
* 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM - "Classic Gaming As A Competitive Sport"
by Walter Day, Brian Kuh, Dwayne Richard, Billy Mitchell
* 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM - "Building the Pinball Hall of Fame"
by Tim Arnold
* 7:00 PM - "How to Play Pinball Clinic" by Rick Stetta
* 12:00 Noon - 2:30 PM - Atari Panel Discussion with Mike Hally,
Owen Rubin, Kelly Turner, and Ed Logg
* 12:00 Noon - "How to Play Pinball Clinic" by Jim Belsito
* 2:30 PM - 3:00 PM - Atari Film Festival by Scott Evans
Several tournaments will be held throughout the show this year.
* Pinball Tournament
Qualifying will be held on Saturday from 12 noon until 11:00 pm.
Tournament. On Sunday, the tournament will be open for qualifying
from 11:30 am until 3:00 pm. Finals will commence at 3:00 pm on Sunday.
* Video Tournament
This will be held on Saturday from 11 am - 5 pm. Walter Day of
the Twin Galaxies' Official Video Game & Pinball Book of World
Records will be running a high score tournament on the show floor.
* No Limit Match Play Tournament
New this year: the "No Limit Pinball" match-play tournament on
Saturday night from 7:00 to 9:00 pm. All in!
Return of the Pinball Rodeo!
* Wild West Pinball Rodeo and Tag Team pinball - Saturday 2 pm -5 pm
"DangerDann" Frank will be hosting a revival of the popular pinball
contests from his Wild West Pinball Fest.
* "Tag Team pinball" (Gottlieb MUSTANG) Features a team of TWO players
playing a single game. On the bell signal, players must "tag in" and
switch places. Cheating means the tag line moves back. You've never
had so much fun with such a tough game.
* The Pinball Rodeo features a stable of modified pinball machines:
- "Stompin' Ball" (the foot operated Pin platform)
- "Remote Control" (Williams PHARAOH with a *new* control panel)
- "Gripper Flippers" (Williams GRAND LIZARD with Demo Man handles)
- "The Edge" (Game Plan SHARPSHOOTER conversion) and possibly others.
Players compete for high scores on these unique beasts.
Other events planned include a .Mechanical Monsters. presentation,
showing off some rare, old mechanical games.
Also, Global VR will publicly show a .Sneak Preview. of their next
Sports title that is soon to be released.
And, of course, over 300 machines all on free play to enjoy the
(7/31/04) News update from Scott
I have a bunch of new stuff to show at this years California
First off, I have located a new Atari Prototype- Accelerator! This
game runs on System 2 hardware, and is a two person 'Stun Runner'
type game. You race on the outside of a tube, and try to hit all
of the acceleration pads and avoid obstacles. The player controls
his ship with a Major Havoc type, roller controller. I have also
been lucky enough to locate some concept artwork for this game!
Come see both at this years show!
I will also be bringing the following games for you to play! Akka
Arrh, Runaway, Arcade Classics, Lunar Battle, Bradley Trainer,
Cyberstorm, Dr. Sparkz Lab, Tenth Degree, Primal Rage II, a Crystal
Castles prototype, the Discs of Tron protoype, Hot Rod Rebels, Beavis
and Butthead, and Die Alien Scum. Also, a never-released Atari
system 1 game.
We will be having our anual Atari Panel discussion at 12 Noon on
Sunday. This year we will have special guests Mike Hally and Owen
Rubin, Kelly Turner and Ed Logg. Mike Hally started at Atari, during
the days of Pinball, and worked on classic games such as Gravitar,
Star Wars, Marble Madness, Stun Runner, Freeze, Relief Pitcher, Gauntlet
Legends and countless other games. Owen Rubin worked on such as Tunnel
Hunt, Space Duel, Major Havoc, Firefox and two other unreleased laserdisc
games. Ed Logg worked on Centipede, Gauntlet and Asteroids, earning
himself the title of 'Golden Boy' and Kelly Turner worked on Champ
Sprint, Arcade Classics, Badlands and countless other classics Atari games.
In addition, we will be having an Atari 'Film Festival' on Sunday at
2:30pm. We will be debuting footage from several Prototype Atari Laserdisc
Games. We will have footage from Road Runner, Battle Star Galactica, a
Golf Simulator, SPOOK, and Malibu (the laserdisc version)! We will also
show footage from the 'Virtual Reality' ride, 'Playland', a roller coaster
simulator that Atari was working on. In addition, we will also have insider
video and interviews from the classic era of Atari.
Finally, we will present an 'Atari Museum' display for your viewing pleasure.
Come see the Primal Rage dinosaur models, never before seen documents and a
large display of concept artwork. We will have plenty of items, that have
never been seen outside the walls of Atari.
(1/18/04) Show dates announced!
California Extreme is back for its 8th year
August 7-8, 2004 (First weekend in August)
The CA Extreme staff
[Masters Tournament Article]
[Official Blue Books]
[Modern Events News And Commentary]
[Coin-Op World Records]
Click At Desired Graphic Text For Each Introduction
Biography Commentary Questions
Click On Below Graphic Text For Spy Hunter Introduction
Tournament and Guinness Book Results From 1983-2004
Click On Below Graphic Text For All Video High Scores thru 2004
The Golden Era
Click On Below Graphic Text For Material On The Golden Years Of Video Games 1980's
Click the Below Graphic Text to read my Conversations With Walter Day
June 9, 2004 Walter Day states, "No Replay Necessary" for Paul Dean
Find A Video Game Auction Near You
----------------- END OF PAGE